There has been much talked about more new, Canon prime lenses coming now that the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x lens (read my review here) has finally been released. We are expecting Canon to replace the venerable EF 50mm f/1.4 and EF 135mm f/2L lenses soon, most probably in that order, with the latter perhaps getting IS.
Egami has spotted additional Canon patents of new, fast prime lens designs. You can read the original article in Japanese on their website.
Description and self-interpretation of the patent literature (machine translated)
Patent Publication No. 2013-114133
- Publication date 2013.6.10
- Filing date 2011.11.30
Factors that chromatic aberration of magnification chromatic aberration or axial chromatic aberration occurs
- Reducing the total length
- Focal length for a long time
Glass material Abbe number 70-90, of 1.4-1.5 refractive index
- Possible correction of axial chromatic aberration
- Must increase a curvature, spherical aberration and curvature of field is generated
- I use a glass material having an anomalous partial dispersion of the predetermined
- Consisting of organic and inorganic compound