|Samsung Galaxy Note 8 smartphone|
Who will take the Lead?
With the debacle of the Galaxy Note 7 in the rear view mirror, Samsung is determined to reverse its fortune with the Galaxy Note 8. With this impressive phone shipping in days, they will have a few month's lead ahead of Apple.
The Apple iPhone 8's announcement may be delayed due to challenges around its 3-D sensing technology, difficulties with embedding the fingerprint reader on the front of the phone and shortage of OLED screens but still in time for the all important Christmas holidays. In the meantime, Apple is relying on the iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus to keep customers from switching to Samsung.
Samsung is salivating about converting some of the current Apple iPhone 7 users to their new phone. Some observers say with the advent of ever smarter phones and their built-in cameras, they may even threaten the survival of point-n-shoot and DSLR cameras. Read my earlier post on this thought.
Samsung Note 8 Rumored Specs
- 6.3in 3840x2160 Super AMOLED curved Infinity Display with 18.5:9 ratio
- S Pen support
- Improved iris scanner
- Screen embedded fingerprint scanner
- Built-in 'Bixby' AI assistant
- Samsung Exynos 8895 CPU (or Snapdragon 835 in the US), 6GB RAM
- 12MP dual rear-facing camera, 8MP front-facing camera
- USB-C connectivity, 3.5mm headphone jack
- Android 7.0 Nougat
- IP68 certification
- 64GB build-in storage, microSD expansion
- 3,000mAh battery.
- Fast charging, wireless charging support
- Midnight Black, Maple Gold, Orchid Grey and Deep Sea Blue color options.
- List price : Over $1,000
|Apple iPhone 8 smartphone ?|
Apple iPhone 8 Rumored Specs
- Three new models including two minor "S" upgrades plus an all-new iPhone 8
- Display : 4.7, 5.5 and 5.8in 2436x1125 Curved OLED
- Storage : 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB
- CPU and RAM : A11 processor, 3-4GB RAM
- Front Camera : 8MP
- Rear Camera : 12MP dual-lens, dual-OIS, 4K video recording
- Extras : Iris scanner, Wireless charging, Fingerprint reader, Bluetooth 5.0
- Curved, edge-to-edge OLED display with True Tone technology and/or Ion-X glass
- Virtual home button with integrated Touch ID
- Touch ID alternative via iris scanning and/or facial recognition
- "Wireless" charging (inductive/magnetic charging, as with the Apple Watch)
- Dual-lens camera, possibly in a vertical configuration
- AR capabilities featuring rear-facing 3D laser for enhanced depth perception
- Support for the Apple Pencil
- Stainless steel and glass body
- Four or more colors including a reflective, mirror-like option
- Upgraded storage and memory, possibly starting at 64GB and 3GB of RAM
- Intel or Qualcomm modem
- iOS 11 (preview)
- Superfast charging via USB-C connection
- Enhanced water resistance or waterproofing
- Higher quality earpiece for louder, clearer audio
- Apple's next-generation processor (the A10X or A11)
- List price : around $1,000 to $1,200