|Canon EOS-1D X Mark II camera|
* * * EOS-1D X Mark II camera field testing in the Amazon * * *
* * * Should I upgrade from the Canon EOS-1D X camera? * * *
* * * Canon EOS-1D X Mark II camera dynamic range test * * *
* * * Canon EOS-1D X Mark II camera debut at Super Bowl 50 * * *
* * * Download the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Instruction Manual now * * *
* * * Pre-order Canon EOS-1D X Mark II and get 64GB CFast card + reader free * * *
I am returning home soon from my Patagonia Photo Tour, just in time for the official announcement of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II camera. Below is the final specifications. The specs look conservative, compared to the 'flamboyant Nikon D5' numbers but Canon has never been a flashy company. Pre-order is being taken now and I have placed my order already.
You can see sample full resolution photos and 4K videos taken with the camera from Canon. Shipment is expected around mid April. Once I have taken delivery of the new camera in April, I will give it the usual real world wildlife photo shoot tests and write a comprehensive report on it. Keep checking back for my review.
MELVILLE, N.Y., February 1, 2016 – Rising to meet the rigorous and evolving demands of professional photographers and videographers, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging, is proud to announce the new EOS-1D X Mark II DSLR camera. With a new 20.2 megapixel 35mm Full Frame Canon CMOS sensor and Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors, the EOS-1D X Mark II professional digital camera delivers stunning image quality and speed. Combining the ability to capture high-resolution still images at speeds up to 14 frames per second as well as stunning high-definition video up-to-4K 60P featuring Canon’s proprietary Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus (AF) technology, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II camera becomes the ideal camera for any professional image creator.
The flagship Canon EOS-1D X Mark II features several firsts for EOS cameras including :
- Newly developed 20.2 megapixel 35mm Full Frame Canon CMOS sensor;
- Continuous shooting speeds of up-to-14 frames per second (fps) with Auto Exposure (AE) and predictive
- AF for viewfinder shooting and up to 16 fps1 in Live View mode;
- Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors that transfer image data at extremely high speed for extended bursts during continuous shooting – up-to-170 consecutive RAW images at 14 fps. When shooting JPEG images you’re only limited by memory card capacity 2;
- Capable of shooting 4K 60P and Full HD 120P video with Dual Pixel CMOS AF;
- Enhanced wireless functionality (with the optional accessory Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E8) that supports the new high-speed IEEE 802.11ac standard and the ability to easily transfer photos and videos to compatible smartphones using Canon’s Camera Connect app*;
- Digital Lens Optimizer to help correct aberrations in-camera (a feature that previously required post-processing on an external computer);
- Improved 61-point viewfinder AF with expanded coverage and all AF-points selectable and supported to a maximum aperture of f/8;
- Improved AI Servo III+ predictive AF algorithm for better accuracy;
- Continuous red illumination of all AF points within the camera’s Intelligent Viewfinder II.
- Compatibility with both CF and CFast memory cards for optimal performance and versatility.
The Ultimate EOS Camera : Continuing a Legacy of High Speed and Performance
Building on the success of the Canon EOS-1D X professional digital camera, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II camera is designed to deliver high-performance, speed, and image quality, with improved comfort for professional photographers. In addition to the new 20.2 megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor and Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors, the new EOS-1D X Mark II DSLR camera includes an improved 61-point High-Density Reticular AF II system with all AF points selectable by the user (and up to 41 cross-type points depending on the lens in use).
The improved AF system includes expanded coverage that supports AF at maximum apertures up to f/8 with all 61 points for high precision autofocus even when using EF super-telephoto lenses with an EF extender. The camera also boasts excellent dynamic range and reduced color noise compared to its predecessor throughout its standard ISO speed range of 100 – 51,200. Expansion ISO speeds of 50, 102,400, 204,800 and 409,600 are also available. A first for the Canon EOS-1D series, this camera also features a 360,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor with enhanced precision and performance compared to its predecessor, improving facial recognition and tracking, as well as nature scenes.
Additionally, the advanced AE system can detect and compensate for flickering light sources such as sodium vapor lamps that are often used in gymnasiums and swimming pools. When enabled, this anti-flicker system automatically adjusts shutter release timing to help reduce disparities in exposure and color especially during continuous burst shooting.
For filmmakers and photographers looking to do more than still photography alone with a DSLR camera and EF lenses, the EOS-1D X Mark II camera offers high resolution DCI 4K video at frame rates up-to-60p, with smooth movie recording to an in-camera CFast 2.0 memory card. An additional card slot supports standard CF memory cards up to UDMA 7. The built-in headphone jack supports real-time audio monitoring. Two additional EOS ‘firsts’ include 4K Frame Grab and 120p Full HD recording. The camera’s 4K Frame Grab function allows users to isolate a frame from recorded 4K video and create an 8.8 megapixel still JPEG image in-camera.
When combined with the EOS-1D X Mark II’s high-sensitivity full-frame CMOS sensor, the new camera’s ability to record Full HD video at frame rates up to 120p will allow videographers to produce high quality slow motion video even in extremely low light. To make video shooting even more intuitive, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II camera’s touch-screen LCD allows videographers to select the camera’s AF point before and during video recording with Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which provides responsive, accurate and quiet camcorder-like video autofocus to DSLRs.
“The innovations within Canon’s new EOS-1D X Mark II DSLR camera clearly set a new standard for professional cameras,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “In developing the EOS-1D X Mark II camera, we looked to incorporate user-requested performance enhancements to bring professional photographers the ultimate EOS camera, a camera that has matured and been developed to meet their evolving needs.”
“Having f/8 capability on all 61 AF points is a tremendous benefit to wildlife photographers,” noted nature photographer and Canon Explorer of Light Charles Glatzer. “In order to capture tight shots of animals without disturbing them, I frequently have to use very long lenses—sometimes with an extender attached, which further diminishes the aperture. The improved AF allows me to frame the shot exactly the way I envision it, without having to compromise.”
“This camera is a huge step forward,” remarked acclaimed photographer and Canon Explorer of Light Damian Strohmeyer. “Shooting sports in a gym at 8,000 ISO, it looked as good as 800 ISO from a generation or two ago. The images are tack-sharp, and the autofocus just doesn’t miss. I’ve been amazed by what I’ve seen so far.”
“The autofocus was awesome,” agreed Peter Read Miller, sports photographer and Canon Explorer of Light. “The higher frame rate coupled with the speed of the CFast card was a definite advantage. It just never buffered out, even shooting RAW.”
The new EOS-1D X Mark II camera also offers a built-in GPS** receiver with compass for precise geo-tagged information of latitude, longitude, elevation and direction. This is especially valuable to wildlife photographers and photojournalists who need to track their locations, as well as providing sports photographers the ability to sync a multiple-camera setup with extreme accuracy and precision. It is also possible to use the camera’s built-in GPS to automatically sync the camera’s time to the atomic clock, an invaluable feature to professionals.
An improved grip also makes the camera easier for photographers to hold and maneuver while shooting. In response to feedback from professional EOS users, the AF points in the EOS-1D X Mark II camera’s Intelligent Viewfinder II can be illuminated in red for improved visibility, especially when shooting in dark locations. AF sensitivity in low light has been doubled from EV -2 to EV -3 at the center AF point when the camera is set to One-Shot AF, enabling the camera to autofocus in extremely dark shooting conditions such as a moonlit nightscape. Viewfinder AF coverage has also been increased for greater compositional flexibility.
As with all EOS-1D series cameras, the EOS-1D X Mark II’s rugged construction and magnesium alloy body is weather resistant. The camera also features improved controls and more in-camera image quality enhancements than ever before, including a Digital Lens Optimizer function offering high quality aberration correction which can now be achieved without an external computer. This feature makes it easier for professional photographers to deliver finished files to their clients, especially in situations when access to a personal computer is impractical or inconvenient.
The estimated retail price for the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II is $5999 (MSRP) for the body or $6299 for the Premium Kit which includes a 64 GB CFast memory card and card reader. The new camera is scheduled to begin shipping to authorized Canon USA dealers in April 2016***. For more information and the full list of product specifications, visit : usa.canon.com/EOS1DXMarkII
- 20.2MP CMOS sensor. Dynamic range improvement
- Dual pixel CMOS AF
- Dual DIGIC6 + processor
- ISO 100-51200 (expanded in 409600)
- Continuous shooting of 14 frames / sec. 16 frames / second in the live view mode
- New mirror drive system that enables high-speed continuous shooting
- Continuous shooting The number of storable RAW at 170 frames (at 16 frames / sec.). Unlimited in JPEG
- 61-point AF system, which range is expanded. 41-point cross-type
- AF is -3EV correspondence
- With lighting AF point red
- AI AF accuracy and motion tracking has improved Servo AF III +
- 360000 dot photometric sensor. EOS iSA. EOS iTR
- 0.76 times the viewfinder magnification. 100% field of view
- Video 4K 60fps. Full HD120fps. 4K video can be recorded in internal CFast2.0 media
- Movie Servo AF
- LCD monitor 3.2 inches, 1.62 million dots. Touch panel.
- Camera digital lens Optimizer (DLO). Lens aberration correction. Diffraction correction
- CFast2.0 and compact flash of dual card slot
- 2-axis electronic level
- USB3.0 terminal, HDMI terminal
- W-FI option (WFT-E8A)
- The size of 158mm x 167.6mm x 82.6mm
- Weight 1340g
- List price - $5,999 in the USA
What’s in the box :
- EOS-1D X Mark II Camera Body
- Battery Pack LP-E19
- Battery Charger LC-E19
- Wide Strap
- Eyecup Eg
- Cable Protector
- Interface Cable IFC-150U II
- EOS Digital Solution Disk
Canon Digital Learning Center has posted several articles highlighting specific features in the newly announced EOS 1D X Mark II camera.
The Articles Include :
The Instruction Manual is available for download. The camera should start shipping in mid April. It will be an exciting season for me once I take the new body out for photo shoots.
Post a Comment