|Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports lens|
* * * Sigma announced 150-600mm Sports lens for Photokina 2014 * * *
Late last year, the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 lens was announced and it is still not widely available in the United States. I managed to put the lens through a quick test in January 2014 and wrote a post about it.
Now Sigma wants to join this space by announcing their own 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS lens. Ever since the revolutionary Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4x Extender USM lens was released last year, third party lens manufacturers are trying to emulate the versatility of this Super Telephoto lens but for a fraction of the price.
Sigma’s new lens has 24 elements compared to Tamron’s 20, and weighs a little over 6 pounds. Minimum focusing distance is also a bit shorter, and the lens has optimized AF and OS. The Sigma lens will be available in Sigma, Canon and Nikon mounts, with Sony A-Mount coming later. I will reserve judgement on this lens until I have a chance to try it out.
Sigma 150-600mm Lens Specs, Tamron 150-600mm specs in bracket for comparison :
- Construction : 24 elements, 16 groups (20 elements, 13 groups)
- Filter diameter : 105 mm (95mm)
- Minimum focusing distance : 260 cm (270 cm)
- Dimensions : 121 x 290.2 mm (105.6 x 257.8 mm)
- Aperture blades : 9, rounded (9, rounded)
- Maximum magnification : 1:5 (1:5)
- Weight : 2860 g / 100.88 oz. (1951 g / 68.8 oz.)
- Available mounts : Canon, Nikon, Sigma (Canon, Nikon, Sony)
- List price : less than $2,000