|Canon EOS-7D Mk II camera launching in August - September, 2014|
* * * Read the latest post on the Canon EOS-7D Mk II here * * *
The EOS-1D Mk IV camera, with its excellent APS-H 1.3x sensor was discontinued a while back, leaving a void in the cropped frame, professional camera space. I am looking for a semi-pro body with the extra reach since I am not a big fan of extenders. The current EOS-7D is an excellent piece of equipment and my pick, four years in a row as the best value in APS-C camera.
With the successful launch of the EOS-70D, Canon is planning to use a more advanced Dual Pixel version of the 70D sensor in the new camera but was encountering some yield performance issues in the production process. Canon engineers will overcome the problems and the expected release date of the camera will be around the big Photokina Show in Cologne, Germany on September 16, with delivery commencing last quarter of 2014. The current EOS-7D has the most advanced AF system of all the Canon APS-C bodies. The Achilles heel of the camera is its mediocre high ISO performance and the camera is showing its age. It will be almost 5 years old when the Mk II is finally announced this Autumn.
Possible specifications of the EOS-7D Mk II camera :
- 20 MP APS-C Sensor ( more advanced than the EOS-70D )
- Advanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology
- Dual DIGIC 5+ processors ( Excellent for speed processing )
- 10 fps ( Most welcomed by me )
- Dual Memory Card Slots ( One CF and one SD. I prefer 2 CF slots )
- 61 AF Points ( Perhaps the same as the EOS-1D X )
- 3.2″ LCD monitor ( Excellent for reviewing images )
- Similar build quality as the EOS-5D Mk III with much better weather proofing
- May include GPS and WiFi ( Not necessary, in my opinion )
- ISO Performance may equal EOS-5D Mk III ( Most welcomed by me )
- Latest video features similar but more advanced than EOS-70D
- Selling price between $2,000 to $2,199. Not finalized yet
My contacts informed me the features of the new camera are firmed up by now and the feedback from the Olympics and the upcoming World's Cup will be crucial in determining the final tweaks, mostly likely refinement in the software before entering production. I am very fond of my EOS-7D camera and cannot wait to get the new model. You can see my works with the camera from worldwide photo shoots on MichaelDanielHo.com. Keep checking back for the latest information.
Post a Comment